Mentor - Sports Conditioning
1 Part-Time Temporary Position
Piha Me Ka Pono
- Engage students in a learning process over the course of time that includes skill acquisition and core value attainment;
- Motivate students to maintain their conditioning throughout the year in order to increase strength and speed and reduce the chance for injury;
- Teach students how to evaluate a person’s health and physical fitness, starting with themselves, through surveys, determining Body Mass Index, taking weight and blood pressure readings, etc.;
- Educate students on the steps that can be taken to improve their health and physical fitness, e.g. sufficient rest, correct nutrition, increased physical activity;
- Schedule and conduct regular meetings (four (4) hours minimum per week during the school year and six (6) hours minimum per week during the summer break) with 6-8 mentees;
- Ongoing use of formative assessments to gauge participant progress;
- Prepare and guide mentees for mentorship presentations;
- Prepare submittal of monthly progress reports and attendance at monthly staff meetings;
- Maintain documentation of mentorship progress and skill acquisition;
- Integrate math, science and reading skills within mentorship instruction;
- Facilitate student work on a community service project.
- Mainly working onsite at mentorship site;Some work in classroom setting;
- Travel to classroom and mentorship site required;
- Position requires regular and predictable attendance;
- Majority of work hours will be after school, evenings and weekends.
Mental, Physical, and Communication Demands
- Consistent adherence to the practice of PIDF’s five core values that are used as a guiding force in the success of all of its programs;
- Be keenly aware of and attentive to program participants;
- Must analyze and problem solve issues;
- Must be able to multi-task and prioritize;
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills;
- Must be able to cope with stress that may be induced by the situations of our clients.
- Must participate in strenuous activities that may include time on the field or in weight room;
- Requires lifting and carrying up to 40 pounds on a regular basis;
- Must be able to sit and work on floor; kneel and bend;
- Involves working outdoors for prolonged periods.
- Must exhibit courteous and professional demeanor towards program participants, staff and administration via verbal, written, physical, and electronic correspondence;
- Requires good oral and written communication skills;
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
- High School diploma or equivalent required;
- Minimum of three (3) years on-the-job experience in health, nutrition, and/or in the physical fitness field;
- Minimum of three (3) years working with and mentoring students;
- Working knowledge of personal computer software applications such as Word and Excel;
- Familiarity with various fitness equipment and accessories, etc.;
- Must have access to a vehicle, have a valid driver’s license, a safe and responsible driving record, and current no-fault auto insurance, with at least the $100K in bodily collision per person and $25K in property damage liability.
All positions require that the incumbent have no convictions of any crime against a child or other vulnerable person. We conduct periodic criminal background checks as a condition of employment.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this classification. It is not to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job. Management has the right to add to, revise, or delete information in this description. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.